With 4th of July celebrations come fireworks. While it is suggested that San Antonians not shoot fireworks in their neighborhoods, many often do. What follows are some fireworks safety tips provided by USA.gov that hopefully will help San Antonians have an accident-free celebration.
Before setting off fireworks in your neighborhood, ensure that it is legal to do so.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby before setting off fireworks. Ensure that you know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks.
- If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If it is not marked with the contents, directions and a warning label, do not light it.
- Supervise children around fireworks at all times.
- Perhaps, the best way to enjoy fireworks is at a public display run by professionals.